Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

DAY TWO

I think by the second day I had resigned myself to the suffering of my condition because I seemed to breeze right through most of it. In the morning I took my mom and Kaileigh to my sister’s house for a visit. Over macadamia nut coffee and bagels spread with whipped cream cheese, they chatted; I sat in a corner and salivated. But, after two oranges and a banana, with a cup of hot herbal tea in my hand, I felt a bit less restless. I thought I was over the hump. Lunch was equally fine—a huge salad with avocados, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar dressing. The day outside was warm and inviting. I drove Kaileigh to her BFF’s house for a play date, and I sat on the balcony in the sun, writing, for the rest of the afternoon.


It wasn’t until dinner rolled around that the torture began again in earnest. We went to a friend’s house and even though we took a relaxing walk to the bay while the kids played in the grass, my slight headache that had been percolating all day burst at the seams and flooded my brain. Oh my head throbbed and burned, like someone tapped a tiny hammer against my forehead, which seemed completely ridiculous because I had cut coffee out of my diet before without this strong of a consequence. I never remember my head hurting this badly. The beef lasagna and chocolate cake that Pam made for dinner didn’t help, either. Just the smell of the cake baking and filling the kitchen was enough for me to send this diet packing. But I stayed strong! No giving in! Everyone had two slices of cake while I stood watching them, their faces smeared with chocolate. Man, my willpower has never endured so much. I think I am ready for a triathlon or maybe a jog through the Mongolian tundra. On to the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment